All of us love going outside with our toddlers so that they can get the best exposure to the outside world. But, in all of this, we put the baby’s delicate and sensitive skin at stake by making the sun directly affect them. However, a lot of parents use sun-blocking cloth, shades, stockings, or other accessories on their children, but this is not enough to beat the UVA and UVB rays. So, what is the right solution to get the bailout of this situation? And the answer is finding, buying, and applying the best sunscreen for babies that are not just easily available in the market but are also effective as well as dermatology tested. So, to know about such dedicated products that ensure the protection of your little munchkin skin, read the complete guide made for you only!
Types of sunscreens
There are three types of sunscreens that you may encounter in the market while searching and planning to buy the best one for your toddler. So, to make your purchase more effortless and informative, we are sharing a gist about them below.
1. Natural ingredients sunscreen
As the name says, such sunscreens for babies are free from the usage of any sort of harmful chemical content. Not only this but they also make sure that your toddler stays away from skin infection due to the application of chemicals that may happen by using other types of sunscreens. The hero ingredients of natural products based on sun-blocking cream include zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, and so on.
2. Broader spectrum sunscreen
This type of sunscreen may or may not have chemicals based on its formula but ensures complete coverage. Broader spectrum sunscreen basically aims to protect the delicate skin of babies from the harsh UVA and UVB rays of the sun that may lead to serious problems like sunburn, tanning, premature skin aging, or skin cancer.
3. Application-based sunscreen
On the basis of application there are different types of sunscreens that are available in the market which offer different consistency, coverage, and using methods. This list mainly includes gel-based sunscreen, which is best for hairy babies, cream-based sunscreen which is best for giving complete coverage, and spray-based sunscreen which is best for those kids who are restless or anxious.
How to buy the best sunscreen for babies?
There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to buying a good sunscreen for your toddler as a little knowledge and going through the sunscreen’s package can help you a lot in making an effortless decision within a minute only. So read the below-shared points to know about those key elements that you need to look after for making a worthy purchase.
1. SPF: It basically stands for Sun Protection Factor which deals with the exposure rate of your baby’s skin with the UVA and UVB sun rays. It is denoted with ranges that may fall between SPF 15 to SPF 100. However, while buying sunscreen for a baby you should go for a product that has a minimum of SPF 30 and a maximum of SPF 50 so that the skin gets enough protection.
2. Active Ingredient: While buying an effective sunscreen for your baby you should check the ingredients mentioned on the back of the product packaging. In case you find natural ingredients based on sunscreen then you should buy that or if you find sunscreen with chemicals like oxybenzone, para-aminobenzoic acid, or so on then you should avoid their purchase as they can have major consequences.
3. Water-resistant: However, sunscreen is just a cream, spray, or gel which vanishes easily from the body. But if its package is labeled with the term “Water Resistant” then you should consider buying it as this element makes the product work better and stronger even if your kid gets exposed to water continuously.
4. Certification: Make sure to look at the packaging and get the details of certification like dermatology tested, certification by the FDA, and more so that you can rely on the sunscreen and use it on the baby without any worries about the side effects.
5. Pricing: Asking too much money in return for less sun protection is not a great deal so make sure to check the sunscreen’s price range before making the final purchase. If it feels pocket-friendly or a reliable product as per your budget, then go for the purchase otherwise look for alternatives as there are a lot of best sunscreens for babies available in the market.
Best Sunscreen For Babies
There are a lot of sunscreens that can help your kid in getting protection from the harmful effects of sun rays. To know about their names, pros, cons, prices, and so on, read the below shared points.
1. Continuous Protection Sunscreen
This product is given by the brand titled “Aveeno Baby” and is specially made for sun-protecting toddlers who have very sensitive skin. It is a lotion-based sunscreen that fosters easy application and gives SPF 50 spectrum which is very impressive as well as effective.
Not only this but this baby sunscreen is also sweat-resistant and water resistant which make it an ideal choice. Talking about the price, then this amazing sun blocker can cost you around $20.
- Completely tear-free.
- Loaded with zinc mineral oxide.
- Gives a pleasant smell.
- No use of paraben.
- Gives SPF 50 coverage.
- Water resistant.
- A bit expensive
- Thick texture
2. Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen
It is one of the best baby sunscreens which is made by the brand titled “Blue Lizard”. This product promises wider coverage and protection against both UVA and UVB sun rays as it has SPF 30+ spectrum and zinc oxide in it which makes the job of sun blocking easier and more effective.
Not only this but its unique packaging also makes it special as it notifies the parents of the application of the product on their baby as the sunscreen’s bottle turns to pink color whenever it is taken into the sun-exposed area. Talking about the price, then this sunscreen can cost you around $15.
- Contains zinc oxide.
- Unique packaging which indicates for application by changing color to pink
- Free from any fragrance.
- Provide protection from UVA and UVB rays.
- A bit expensive or less affordable.
3. Mineral-based baby sunscreen
This is a product given by the brand titled “Mom & World” which has SPF 50 PA+++ and a lotion-like application. It has zinc oxide, titanium oxide, and Vitamin E as its active ingredients which not only give protection from the UVA and UVB rays but also prevent infections due to the antioxidant content present in it.
Apart from that, this product can also be used as a moisturizer as it gives smoothness and shields the skin from any environmental damage. Furthermore, those mothers who are going through wrinkles can also try it and get magical results. The price range of this sunscreen is $7 which makes it an affordable option for everyone.
- Loaded with antiseptic and antioxidant properties.
- Moisturize the skin.
- Has water-resistant properties
- No harmful chemical is used.
- Minimize wrinkles in women.
- Has sticky structure
- Carries strong smell.
4. ThinkBaby sunscreen
It is the best sunscreen for babies as it has no harmful chemical content like avobenzone, and phthalate present in it. Not only this but it is also water resistant which means your toddler is protected from UV rays even in the exposure of water. Furthermore, this product is also gluten-free and non-greasy which makes it a good option to choose and apply regularly on the baby.
Apart from that, it also offers SPF 50+ spectrum which gives wider coverage and better protection. Moreover, this sunscreen is also paraben and oxybenzone-free which makes it a more skin-friendly alternative. Talking about the price range then this sunscreen costs around $36 which is way too expensive.
- It is gluten-free.
- Have SPF 50+ broader spectrum.
- Water resistant.
- Free from harmful chemicals like avobenzone and phthalate.
- Not affordable or very expensive
- It Has a very strong smell.
5. Mineral-based sunscreen by Mamaearth
This is one of the best options if you are planning to buy an effective sunscreen for your baby. It gives SPF 20+ protection which stays mild on the skin and has a lotion-like texture which makes application easier. Furthermore, calendula, shea butter, cocoa, and zinc oxide are its main ingredients which make the baby’s skin moisturized and protected from the ultraviolet rays of the sun.
The best thing about this sun-blocking lotion is that it is made specially for those children who have extra sensitive skin as it works as a shield from infection catching because of its hypoallergenic content. Talking about the price, this sunscreen costs around $5 only.
- It balances the pH level of the baby’s skin.
- Also certified as Asia’s No.1 sunscreen for baby
- Have hypoallergenic properties
- Works as a moisturizer
- A bit greasy
- The fragrance is not so pleasant.
1. From what age should I start applying sunscreen to my baby?
Once the baby turns 6 months old, you can start applying sunscreen on them as per their skin type. However, it is suggested that you should not risk it and use a sunscreen that is prescribed by the baby’s dermatologist.
2. How should I apply sunscreen on my baby?
Start the procedure of sunscreen application 15 minutes before taking your baby to the sun-exposed area. For the best results, you need to take 1 ounce of sunscreen lotion on your palm and rub it on all the exposed body parts of the baby which usually include feet, legs, neck, ears, hands, and face. If your kid is exposed to the sun for more than 2 hours, then make sure to re-apply the product.
3. What are the consequences of not applying sunscreen to the baby?
Babies have very sensitive and delicate skin which may get harmed very easily by the harsh UVA and UVB rays of the sun. Avoiding the application of sunscreen may result in skin cancer, skin infection, sunburn, tanning, premature skin aging, and more.
4. Which is the best sunscreen for babies?
There are a lot of sunscreens that are easily available in the market and work very effectively. The list includes ThinkBaby sunscreen, Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen, Continuous Protection Sunscreen by Aveeno Baby, Mineral-based sunscreen by Mamaearth, and so on.
5. How to buy the best sunscreen for babies?
For this, check out the SPF, water resistance, price, active ingredients, and certification of the selected sunscreens. And, once they fulfill the checklist of reliability, authenticity, and effectiveness, buy it for your toddler’s protection from the sun.
Above we shared a brief guide on the best sunscreen for babies along with its other aspects like types and buying guide which might have helped you in choosing the right sun blocking lotion for your kid. There are a lot of sunscreens available in the market that have different application formulas, ingredients, purposes, and prices so that you can choose the best fit as per your kid’s requirements.
However, we suggest you consult a dermatologist once and follow the sunscreen prescribed by them after the examination of your child’s skin. I hope the page helped you and if you still want any further assistance then, do let us know about the same through the comment box mentioned below. Till then, thank you for reading!
Preeti Jha is a young writer who loves reading, writing, and using words in the crispiest and clearest way possible. She has 3+ years of industry experience and holds a very good command over language and representation of content. She believes in hard work and dedication when it comes to winning any milestone or getting loyal readers. From reporting and anchoring to writing and radio jockeying, she has an interest in various fields of mass communication.