Earlier this week, India had banned 59 Chinese mobile applications, including TikTok and Shareit, owing to privacy concerns.
File photo of US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo (Photo Credits: AP)
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday lauded India’s decision to ban 59 Chinese mobile applications.
In a statement on July 1, Secretary of State Pompeo said, “India’s clean app approach will boost India’s sovereignty and boost integrity and national security.”
Earlier on Wednesday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi deleted his account on Chinese social media platform Weibo. An official procedure to deactivate the account, as is the case for VIP accounts on Weibo, was followed.
Owing to data privacy concerns, India earlier this week decided to ban 59 Chinese mobile applications, including TikTok and Shareit among others. Chinese mobile applications that come under the ambit of this ban include WeSync, UC Browser, DU Recorder, News dog, QQ Mail, Sweer Selfie, Cam Scanner, and Vault-Hide among others.
In a tweet on June 29, Union Minister for Information Technology and Communications Ravi Shankar Prasad had said, “For safety, security, defence, sovereignty & integrity of India and to protect data & privacy of people of India the Government has banned 59 mobile apps.”
The most popular of the banned apps, TikTok which had nearly 119 million active users in India at the time of the ban issued a statement on June 30. “TikTok has democratized the internet by making it available in 14 languages, with hundreds of millions of users, artists, story-tellers, educators and performers depending on it for their livelihood, many of whom are first time internet users,” said the statement by TikTok India head Nikhil Gandhi.