Product Design is a professional discipline that involves identifying an issue or a problem, defining it, and then creatively developing a solution. Product Designer comprehends a company’s objectives, its brand language, studies and analysis the end user, his preferences, habits, frustrations, needs, behaviour etc. along with identifying the conspicuous and inconspicuous problems & hence market opportunity and accordingly envision, design and develop solution. The solution can include creating new product and/or service or improving the existing one by enriching the user experience by adding bells and whistles or by making it economically more viable. But his work doesn’t end there for he is also accountable for validating the product with the real end users to ensure his delight.
Typical work description of a product designer:
- Research & evaluate opportunities and accordingly conceive, ideate & visualize solution
- Interacting with clients to understand and discuss brief, concepts and develop prototype/samples.
- Be up to date with ensuing trends and influences
- Eye for detail to detect product faults, functionality, safety & develop apt solutions
- Collaborating as a team player
- Comfortable in use of computers and various software including CAD (computer-aided design) so as to come up with design concepts
- Collaborating with multiple departments like engineering and marketing etc. to oversee production processes, other commercial concerns & costs.
On completion of Product Design Course, following are few of the opportunities, which will open its doors to you:
- Product/Industrial Designer: He is responsible for improving the design & utility of existing products besides the development of new products utilizing his competencies in materials, technology, and manufacturing methods.
- Furniture Designer: Balancing innovation, aesthetics & utility, he is responsible for conceptualizing, conceiving and designing products.
- Exhibition Designer: He is responsible for communicating client’s message and products USP through large public exhibitions, showcase events & trade shows etc. Furthermore, he also manages conferences for trade, industry or education, cultural exhibitions for museum etc. He needs to ensure aesthetic appeal at these events besides handling the finances & budgets.
- Clothing/Textile technologist: He is responsible for developing products, improving production efficiency & conducting quality tests, sourcing relevant fabrics or textiles including handling man-made and natural fibres like leather, fur etc.
- Colour Technologist: His role entails science and technology of colour application including its accurate reproduction, even application & its consequent performance and durability. He plays an essential role in manufacturing sectors where dyes and pigments are produced for a range of products
- Interior/Spatial Designer: He is responsible for designing new as well as renovating existing internal spaces and structures. His role demands an understanding of aesthetics, ensuing trends and people preferences etc. He must have an eye for details and should come up with efficient and functional interiors.
- Materials Engineer: His knowledge of properties and behaviours of different substances, including raw materials and finished products facilitates him working to enhance performance of various existing materials like increasing durability, strength etc. as well as develop new material to help advance technologies or products.
Register now in product design course and gain the satisfaction of enriching career.