Why go for sugar-free biscuits?
Most people spend their entire life constantly worrying about their health. With diabetes, it is essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle, eat right and exercise well. If you, too, have diabetes, you must be worried about how much sugar your food has. So if you are looking for the perfect snacking option: sugar-free biscuits are a must-have.
Are these biscuits safe for you?
In the case of diabetes, the body doesn’t produce enough insulin. Thus, glucose accumulates in the blood, increasing blood sugar levels.
When you consume food with high sugar levels, the rise in blood sugar can be life-threatening. It is, therefore, crucial for you to only consume food that has low amounts of sugar or none at all. At the same time, since the body cannot break down glucose, the body’s cells are in constant need of energy. Therefore, it would be best to consume frequent snacks in smaller portions. In addition, it will help you regulate your sugar intake.
Three types of sugars are commonly available. They are:
- Natural sugar
- Free sugar
- Sugar substitutes
Natural sugar is found in products directly available in nature, such as milk, fruits and vegetables.
Free sugar is monosaccharides and polysaccharides that are added to food items, such as honey, to make food sweeter.
Sugar substitutes are artificial sweetening agents that help make the food sweet but are insulin insensitive. The most common sugar substitutes are xylitol and dextrose.
Sugar-free biscuits are a perfect snacking option for you. These contain artificial sweetening agents rather than regular sugar. Thus, keeping your sugar intake in check.
Health benefits of sugar-free biscuits
Sugar-free biscuits help maintain the blood sugar level, helping balance the sugar levels and your overall metabolism. Here are some health benefits of sugar-free biscuits:
- Contain artificial sweetening agents: Instead of natural sugar and sucrose, these biscuits are made of artificial sweetening agents. Thus, these biscuits taste delicious but do not increase your blood sugar levels.
- They help improve digestion: Sugar-free biscuits have a good amount of fibre. In the case of diabetes, most people have a constant problem of diarrhoea and constipation since their body’s cells don’t receive enough oxygen. Lack of oxygen causes a lack of energy, negatively impacting the nervous system. Thus, affecting the digestive system. But on the other hand, these biscuits help you maintain a perfect diet chart, thereby improving digestion.
- They have a good amount of protein: These sugar-free biscuits are rich in protein. It contains a particular type of protein, the casein protein, which helps boost immunity. In the case of diabetes, the body’s cells are devoid of energy. This reduces their ability to fight against infections and viruses. At the same time, during pregnancy, the body’s overall immunity decreases. Therefore, taking care of yourself during this time is extremely important. Consuming these biscuits can help in the treatment of gestational diabetes.
More about gestational diabetes
Gestational diabetes is a special type of diabetes that only happens to women during the time of their pregnancy or lactation period. It affects the body in the same way as type 2 diabetes. However, it is a metabolic disorder where the body doesn’t produce enough insulin. Thus, the glucose obtained from the food cannot be broken down and converted to ATP (Adenosine triphosphate), the source from which the body accepts energy. This results in glucose levels in the body, increasing the blood sugar range.
Symptoms of gestational diabetes
There aren’t any evident signs and symptoms of gestational diabetes. However, if you are at high risk, you must test your blood sugar levels and reach out to a doctor to treat gestational diabetes. Risks may include prediabetes, diabetes in the past, or a family history of diabetes.
You may notice dehydration and an increased frequency of urination. However, it is not that evident.
Also know about blood sugar levels chart by age 40.
Early management and care have significantly impacted blood sugar levels and the treatment of gestational diabetes.
- Consuming low-calorie and highly nutritious food are very important. Every meal that you consume must be balanced.
- Include green leafy vegetables and salad in your meals.
- Limit the consumption of carbohydrates.
- Reduce or eliminate the intake of sugar in your food.
- Avoid having larger meals. Instead, have smaller meals at regular intervals.
- Constantly monitor your blood sugar levels and maintain a chart.
- Go for regular exercises to boost your blood circulation.
- Keep an eye on your weight and maintain a healthy BMI.
Complications of gestational diabetes
It is important to take care of yourself if you have gestational diabetes. Here are some complications that can affect you:
- Excessive weight of the baby at birth. In most cases, a C-section might be necessary.
- High sugar levels can result in early labour and premature delivery.
- The baby may have serious respiratory problems.
- Babies may be born with type 1 diabetes.
- They also have a high risk of developing diabetes in life.
Summing it up
Sugar-free biscuits are the perfect and healthiest snacking option that you can wish for. They help limit sugar intake, at the same time, maintain your body’s metabolism. It is perfectly safe to consume these if you have gestational diabetes. These biscuits also help improve your digestion. So if you are looking for a quick, healthy, diabetic-friendly, and tasty snack, go for sugar-free biscuits.